Monday, March 4, 2013

4:30 AM

The world is silent at 4:30. I hate to admit it, but I actually enjoyed getting up that early knowing that my rest day would now be an active rest day. I was undecided with how far I would swim, but I kept telling myself that like running, I need to ease my way back into it. That is something that is sometimes hard for me to do, ease back into something. Especially when it comes to swimming. I have always been a swimmer, so I never thought I would have trouble swimming. And by trouble I mean stiffness. When I started my Monday morning swims jn Jan, they were inconsistent at best. I remember one of my swims, I went right after it, swimming a mile right away. I felt good just tired. Until the next day. I was stiff and sore. The next day it was worse. It took 3 days and Aleve for the stiffness to go away. So, I skipped the next Monday. When Feb came, I promised myself to go every Monday. I think I only missed 1 Mon. I also was smarter this time, with my swims only being 1/2 a mile. I was proud of how great it felt, and how I wasn't sore. So, I promised myself that when March came I would increase my distance and was contemplating doing the mile today.
Then, (I promise the rambling is almost over) I thought back to when I started running. How the c25k program had you run and walk and eased you into more running and less walking. I remember what it was like when I first started running and how much I thought I was going to die. So, I decided to do 3/4 of a mile. It felt nice. It was easy-ish, but I knew it was better than doing nothing. It was great feeling the water over my skin. I miss it sometimes. But, I also know how much, or I think I know how much this will help my running.
In the meantime, until I figure it out, I will keep Mondays with swimming as my active rest day. In 54 days, I will see if it hurt or hinders my half marathon training.
Hope you have a great Monday. Do you do active rest days when training?

No comments:

Post a Comment