Wednesday, May 8, 2013

11 miler...

On Saturday, I had an 11 mile run planned. I knew that for most of the run if not all of it, I was going to be alone, so I broke it up into 2 separate runs and even planned on refilling my water in between runs.  There is something about breaking the run up into 2 that totally made it less unbearable. I don't know about you, but running solo for 11 miles gets very boring and becomes more of a head game than a physical one. However, I knew that there would be other people out on the path, so at least I knew I would see people I knew, and the place we were running is one of my favorite places.  I headed out on the run, and at a little over a mile, I saw this...
 and it made things feel so more peaceful. I mean I don't know how much more peaceful things can get at 0630 in the morning, but this was awesome.

 As usual, the first 3 miles were a little tough. I think it takes my legs 3 miles to warm up, but since I ran a half marathon not even 2 weeks ago, I knew that my legs would be tighter. I even stretched, which I know I probably should do more often, but I have been focusing more on that and foam rolling since on the 18th I have another half. After 3 miles, it was time for me to turn around and head back for the first time. The way back seem so long, but I knew that I was low on water and that other people would be arriving to do their run.  With 1 mile left, I knew I was good to go. I arrived in time to say hello to the runners just getting there and filled my water bottle with Nuun, stretched and then headed back out. This time I only had 5 to go so I just knew that breaking it into smaller runs would be just as easy. My friend Bob waited for me, but then said he wasn't feeling the run, but made sure that I would be ok running alone if he left me. Thanks Bob for the little run together we had! I hope you next runs are better! Right before 2.5 I crossed a bridge, one that this particular day was my first time running across and stopped to take this photo...
Maybe I just need to stop and enjoy the scenery more. At 2.5 miles I turned around and although my legs were dead, when I came to the last overpass at 1 mile to go, I knew I could finish.

My complete running time was 2 hours 8 minutes. No land speed records, but barring any wardrobe malfunctions and if all stars line up, I am looking at a decent run on the 18th.
Here's hoping the stars align...
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment