Sunday, September 30, 2012

The boat launch


Saturday's run with BCR was at the boat launch by my house. I have run this path several times, but never the distance that I knew in my head I wanted to cover. I couldn't run early because my hubby worked last night, but I knew that if he got home on time (which he didn't) I would be able to get there by 7:30 to run with the group. I got there at 7:50 so I knew they would be out running already. But, I KNEW I had to get a run in. With my last run being only 7 miles AND a week ago, I knew I was in for a challenge. I have been having trouble lately mentally getting through long runs. For some reason, mile 6 has been my breaking point. It is usually at this distance that I tell myself, no I listen to the doubt in me head, telling me I cannot go any farther, and fall apart. It is usually a struggle then to finish the run, no matter what the plan was for distance.  So today, I ran by myself. Nothing new, I am used to it, but I completely shut off my brain. I knew I could do the mechanics of the run without thinking about it, I knew I had the endurance to do the run, I just couldn't think about it. But, as the run began I started to think about how far I wanted to go. How far I needed to go with the half marathon coming up. I thought about how I shouldn't be able to finish it because I haven't run in a week. And this was at mile 2! It was then, that I told myself to stop thinking of the total mileage and take it one mile at a time. I also listened to my body. It was sore and stiff and everything in between. But I listened to it. I slowed my pace and tried to keep it constant.At mile 3.5 I wanted to give up and turn around, but I knew that if I didn't try to get my 10 miles I would be very disappointed in myself and would be bummed the rest of the weekend. So, I just kept going. I enjoyed the scenery around me, and the looked at the leaves who in my opinion are turning fall colors way too early. I enjoyed the occasional runner/walker/fisher I encountered. I took it mile at a time. I didn't let myself get overwhelmed with the need to run 10 miles. Hell, at mile 5 at the turnaround I contemplated going a little further, to push myself just a little more.It felt good to run, and I wanted to run more. But I decided not too. I decided I needed to start back home so that I would make the run. Mile 6 still seemed to be a long mile. It seemed like it was the longest mile to be exact. I don't know what I ever did to the 6 mile mark to make it haunt me so bad, but it did. I just kept telling myself take it one more mile. Miles 7-8 flew by and then mile 9 seemed to take it's time. 9.5 to 10 seemed like it was really 2 miles long, but I just kept pushing.  I am so glad I talked myself into running the 10 miles, I really know I would have been disappointed with myself, and well quite frankly, I needed the miles so that I know I will be ok for the half coming up.


On Friday, I started waking up early and doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's just 20 minutes, but man, does it kick your behind. I don't remember it being so challenging, but maybe then I wasn't doing it right. I have done it 3 days so far (today included) and I plan on continuing it for the 30 days. According to Jillian, she says you can lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days. I will let you know. Maybe this video will reignite my metabolism and help me continue on my path to a healthier weight. I am also contemplating Insanity, which I believe is 60 days. I know that utilizing that program will help me continue my weight loss, but also improve my core which will help with running. Sounds like a win-win situation for me.






post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment