Monday, September 24, 2012

Run-Yoga-Walk


Saturday was supposed to be a 10 mile run. Supposed to be is the key word. I have to stop planning my mornings down to the last second. Take Saturday for example. I had signed up to do free yoga at a local running store. I really enjoy yoga and wish it was more affordable, so when ever there is an opportunity for me to try it for free or reduced price I sign up for it. Anyway, yoga was at 9 so I knew I had to be finished with my run by 830 so that I could leave to get there on time. Of course, my run started late which then meant that my narrow window of opportunity was even narrower. My run felt great, and it was beautiful. It was around mile 2 that I got so stressed over the time constraint that I stopped running to look at my Garmin because I didn't think that it was possible that I was only running 20 minutes! I started to freak myself out that my Garmin stopped working and on and on and on I went. Then, at mile 3.6 the path that I was on ended and I had no idea what or how that happened. I was certain that my running club wouldn't have chosen a path that wasn't long so I got really nervous. I hadn't seen anyone on my run and since I had never been that far on this particular path, I wasn't sure I knew what the heck was going on. So, I just turned around. Then, I started even more to worry about my time limit. And the pain in my foot. And the time, and the pain, and on and on it went for 3.6 more miles. Finally, I got back to my car. Met up with 2 of the guys from the running club who were there, chatted briefly and then headed to yoga.

This yoga was yoga for runners and we did a great deal of time stretching. I LOVE the yoga classes that I have taken at this studio and since that is one of my few experiences of yoga I didn't really know what to expect. Except for the fact that the yogi was doing a lot of plugs for her business, it was an alright class. I did a lot of stretching, but since the yoga classes I have taken before were hands on, I was disappointed with the lack of touching where the yogi assists you in the correct position. That being said, I will be doing the next free yoga session.

Did you notice how I talked about the foot pain with running. I was/am concerned that it is something wrong with my foot, so since the local running store where I purchased all of my running shoes was hosting the yoga I thought I would talk to them about my pain. I wanted to rule out/ rule in a shoe problem before I went to the doctor. Turns out my generation of my running shoe is cut smaller than the previous generation. Which means I have to get a wider shoe. Luckily for me they are doing an even exchange for the new shoe so I get a brand new pair of shoes for free, but with only 3 weeks until my half marathon, that doesn't give me enough time to break in my new shoes. Guess I will be wearing my older generation shoes for the half. Oh well. Hopefully with the new shoes my pain will go away. If not, I guess I will be off to see the doctor.

I woke up Sunday and my IT band was a little sore. Perfect I thought. (Sarcastically of course). But I knew that I would have the opportunity to walk since I was doing the American Heart/Stroke Walk. It was a beautiful day, and I couldn't have asked for a better one. I got to walk 2.2 miles pushing my daughter. It was a lot of fun, and something my IT band needed. A nice slow stretch.

I spent all day today at work walking. I really should use my Garmin at work one day to see how far i really walk in a day. Maybe I will.  Anyway, I am trying to get shorter workouts in this week with my taper starting next week. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to stretch it out really well, and come Wednesday, i will be running steps again. In the meantime, I guess I should work on getting to bed sooner. A lack of sleep really wears you out for the day.

I hope you had a great Monday!

Happy-Healthy-You!




post signature

1 comment:

  1. Have you considered getting yoga videos? Then you could do them after M goes to bed (or before she wakes up).

    ReplyDelete